Saturday, August 28, 2010

New Orleans

One of my favorite places in the entire world is New Orleans.  I love this city... So, it's hard to think that just 5 years ago this week Hurricane Katrina hit the gulf coast.  5 years ago over 1,800 people died in the tragedy turning people's lives upside down.

New Orleans holds a special place in my heart.  I have been to the city many times since the hurricane to help rebuild.  I have such positive memories working alongside families reconstructing their homes - making friendships that will last a lifetime.

Currently, the city, along with other towns in the gulf coast region, still needs help rebuilding.  Even 5 years since the aftermath many people are waiting to get into their homes!  It's sad - really.  I find it shocking that people are still displaced... more attention needs to be given to the ever-eluding crisis.  
 
Awareness is the first step.  I love learning and believe education creates positive change. :)  There are 3 documentaries that have helped me better understand the situation:
 - "When the Levees Broke", by Spike Lee
 - "Trouble the Water", by Tia Lessin and Carl Deal
 - New feature 5 years after by Spike Lee called, "If God is Willing & Da Creek Don't Rise"

I love New Orleans so much, here are my top 15 reasons:
15 - Jazz, Jazz, Jazz, Jazz Music (makes my heart happy)
14 - Mrs. Martha Harris
13 - Ms. Debroah Calopy
12 - Snoop, Mary, Dez and family
11 - Cafe Du Monde
10 - Great food, great.
 9 - The people  - they have heart.
 8 - Closest city I can find to Europe in the US.
 7 - French Quarter.
 6 - Drive through Daiquiri stands... fresh daiquiris in 2 gallon milk jugs... seriously... open 24/7! 
 5 - Leading service trips and taking college students... seeing how service changes lives.
 4 - New Orleans is the spot where my dad and I meet every year.  It's our father/daughter time to work together helping others (with college students joining us).
 3 - www.stbernardproject.org  a volunteer group = Wonderful people!!!
 2 - www.livestbernard.org  the most amazing volunteer house!
 1 - Crawfish parties for the locals and having b-b-q with families.  

My favorite person in New Orleans is Mrs. Martha Harris.  She was the first lady I met.  The first house I worked on after the hurricane hit.  Mrs. Martha is 80.  Mrs. Martha has a love for God and for life that I've never seen before.  She is full of joy, even in the hardest of times.  I remember going inside of her FEMA trailer - it was freezing with no heat - and she was still grateful.  Grateful to be alive.  She sat me down and encouraged me!  Really, in the midst of her trials and having no home, she still cared for others.  Every year I go back and visit Mrs. Martha.  She is like a second grandma to me.  I plant her flower garden and we talk about life, love, and what makes the world go round.

Mrs. Martha Harris - even as I sit in Europe... I am thinking of you this week.  I love you my friend.  Thank you for reminding me of the meaning of life.   

2 comments:

  1. Katie that was a great posting. I also have alot of memories from there. Have been watching several shows about Katrina and recognize many of the landmarks. dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. "umm...Mrs. Martha I'm gonna need some more toilet paper." - Albert. That was one of the days I laughed until my ribs hurt. Glad to share those fun times with ya dad. :-)

    ReplyDelete