Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Laughing through the Language Barrier


A smile goes a long way.
A smile is universal.
Laughter is contagious...

While traveling Eastern Europe - the language is rough, and that is putting it lightly. Trying to speak Serbian, Greek, Slovakian, Croatian... Ahh! Agg! I find myself wanting to revert to Spanish. It's the only language other than English that I can semi speak.

However, I'm learning that communication is really not that hard if you can laugh at yourself. While I've been staying with a family in Serbia I know enough to say hi and thank you. We point at the rest to communicate. We also laugh a lot. I've uploaded pics of Rajko's mom (Bozana) and his grandma (Baba Jela). They are the wonderful, fun-spirited women that made me Turkish coffee every morning. Bozana also gave me a going away gift of spices and under-ware. I laughed so hard! A combination present that I've never been given before... pretty panties of all colors (really cool) and spices. Maybe she knows just want I need for my journey ahead... oy vey :-)! All I know is that my time with these women was fun, even with a language barrier.

A smile goes a long way.
A smile is universal.
Laughter is contagious...

No comments:

Post a Comment