Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Urdhva Dhanurasana (back bend)


I did my first back bend today after recovering from an injury.  Felt so good!  Less than 100 days since my break and I'm back... literally.  Why am I so crazy about yoga and back bends?  Let me tell you a little more - better known as Urdhva Dhanurasana (wheel pose) Urdhava means upward, dhana means bow or wheel.  The pose is said to replicate that of a bow as it arcs when pulled.  To properly hold the pose the soles of the feet are on the floor hip-distance apart and the hands are flat with palms on the ground.  The head and neck are relaxed and once the back arches up, leave hands firmly planted to receive a better arch and walk the feet back towards the hands.  This pose benefits the digestive system, respiratory system, cardiovascular and glandular systems.  Udrhva Dhanurasana places the body and nervous system in an abnormal, inverted position.  It causes one to have a strong respiratory system to lift up in the bow position.  I like the pose because I have to focus.  I am in the moment.  My body, my strength, my breath.  I like to do this pose when I travel...  Yes, back bend today... arm-balances and hand-stands tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment