Thursday, March 1, 2012

French Lessons

Je suis Mardi Gras.  Yes, I just wrote I am Fat Tuesday.  It's basically the only thing I can say in French.  I'm taking French lessons.  I have this desire to learn the language.  I'm hearing it and can semi-read it but when it comes to speaking it -oh my- saying I'm horrible is an understatement.  The gift of languages fascinates me and yet I have not found learning a second or third language easy. 
Once a week I work with a private French tutor.  She's amazing.  I'm the one who needs help.  My friends Mark and Susan host and I have to say out of the three of us I'm by far the worst.  But, doing something that is not easy stretches me.  Not being the best at everything is a good lesson.  I just feel bad for my tutor and friends who laugh with me as I mutter Je suis Mardi Gras. 
Yes, I'm going back to France this year - let's hope the language learning improves! :)

1 comment:

  1. Bonjour Katie. Comment ca va ? How great that you are learning French. It is so beautiful, but not easy, lots of exceptions to the rules... While living in Switzerland I worked so hard at my French language classes and didnt want to forget all that i had learned. I was told about a group of people who get together once a month to speak and practice French...no English speaking allowed... and it has been a great way to practice, and just listening helps. I am so amazed at the number of participants! There must be something similar in Laguna... Check it out! À bientôt . Bisous, Crystal

    ReplyDelete