Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Humor in the Subway

As I walked to the subway one morning on my way to teach yoga, I heard a blend of music I had not experienced.  On the subway in the capital city, people here do not smile.  They rarely make eye contact.  And it can be strangely quite.  So, I usually have my I-Pod selection of mixes in and depending on the mood, weather, and day my tunes vary.  Today was yoga - I play my upbeat yoga groove mix.  As I board my subway stop - Om Shanti by Madonna was playing... it always puts me in the mood to teach yoga.  However, little did I know that a group comprised of Brits and Americans were already inside.  When the doors shut, they started singing "In the Jungle the Mighty Jungle the Lion sleeps tonight....."  It blended with my Madonna and the fusion of the two made me laugh.  They were smiling, I was laughing.  People were staring at us.  It made me laugh even more.  Who cares - I'm so over the somberness of the city!

After yoga class, the sun was out.  Felt like a spring day, so I decided to take a long walk back to my flat... and I saw the funniest things.  There was a man dressed up like Michael Jackson (looked just like him).  And now if you will, picture Pebbles from the Flintstones... well, her older brother passed me on the street.  And then I really smiled when I saw an old man pushing a stroller.  He stopped - looked in - and started talking to a dog.  Yes, the little dog was in a blanket in the stroller.  No child in sight.

My friend once told me that my natural reaction is to smile.  I never thought of that, but it's true.
Joy can be found even in gray places.
I'm learning to not let my environment change me.
Even if people stare - I laugh.  I smile.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment