Monday, January 28, 2013

Egyptians

Smoke. Drink tea. Are very friendly. Drive like crazy. Walk in front of fast cars not thinking about their lives being put in danger (no joke!) 70% of the population is Muslim. Most women wear full traditional burkas. Masques are everywhere. Prayer five times a day is the common chanting sound in the country. Graffiti is seen in most areas . Tradition flat bread sold on the street is typical in town. For transportation there are cars, mopeds, 2 men riding a motorcycle with no helmets is the norm, men on horses or using horse and carriage. Fresh produce, especially bananas are sold on the street. You see men out and about more than women. Even in the masques, it's mainly men. Women are recommended to stay and pray at home but if they do enter the holy place, there is a separate place for them to pray and they must be fully covered. I went to visit a temple with my male friend who was allowed to enter in jeans and t-shirt, I was required to wear a full covering. It was bright green. While I respect culture, needless to say I was not happy at the restrictions placed on women. It felt very demeaning. I looked like fucking Kermit the Frog just because I was a bloody woman. Culturally I respect it, but as a free woman it was very hard to be judged against just because I'm female. While I love love love Egypt, I could not follow the Muslim tradition and it's great that not all women do. Freedom of religion is practiced in this country. Cairo is very liberal, yet many still follow the Muslim faith.
I had the opportunity to see a typical Egyptian wedding and funeral... The beginning of a season and the end of another. Both eye-opening. The wedding was a full party. The bride wore a hot pink wedding dress. She was beautiful! Egyptian women are very pretty. Her female friends were dressed so lovely. It was refreshing to see young women dressed in fashion with their dark hair flowing as they danced. A fun, festive event with a lot of music.
The thing I noticed the most is that there is always things being built. Lots of projects and construction. It shouldn't surprise me really, known as a country for building the great pyramids to this day they are still building all over the city.
Most Egyptians greet you with a smile and overall so nice and helpful. I think they are beyond kind and loved my time in the country. Note...while prices are high, they expect you to negotiate. It's common every day to be working for a cheaper price. It's expected. I found that to be the most exhausting. As a blonde female I stood out, but I was always treated with kindness and respect. It was so much better than I expected. After traveling much, I can say I'm very found of Egyptians, even if culturally it's okay to have up to 4 wives!







No comments:

Post a Comment