Monday, October 25, 2010

Positive Women

There is strength in community.  
I have found that no matter where I travel, I am blessed to find genuine fellowship with talented people.  I do not know how it happens, but I am grateful.  The more I open myself up to being a friend and letting my walls down - the more I am surrounded by people who are like-minded. 
There is a saying that states we are in community every time we find a place we belong.  I find those words ringing true to my time with a special group of women in Vienna.  We are a gathering of strong women who meet on a regular basis.  Positive Women consisting of writers, cooks, artists, poets, lawyers, judges, United Nations representatives, musicians, entertainers, yoga instructors, and the list continues... We are friends, mothers, daughters, aunts, nieces, wives, sisters... We come together to support one another and work for a common goal to make an impact in the world greater than what we could on our own. 
I find this quote fitting for the occasion:
"I do not go to a meeting merely to give my own ideas. If that were all, I might write my fellow members a letter. But neither do I go simply to learn other people's ideas. If that were all, I might ask each to write me a letter. I go to a meeting in order that all together we may create a group idea, an idea which will be better than all of our ideas added together. For this group idea will not be produced by any process of addition, but by the interpenetration of us all." - Mary Parker Follett 
Yes, I do believe there is strength in community.  

No comments:

Post a Comment