Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Creating the Space

I tend to teach a more advanced yoga known as Vinyasa Flow.  Let's just say it's not your grandma's yoga, nor your mom's for that matter.  I also love and have trained in Power Yoga, and I enjoy the basics of Hatha Yoga.  Depending on the class, my style changes.  This morning as I went to teach, I was surprised... peacefully perplexed... because you never know who is going to show up.  Today I had an older woman who is new to yoga, the studio owner who is highly advanced, your mid-range students, and then a man who studies yoga in India 5 months every year!  Are you kidding me!!!  Talk about skills and your variety of levels... and I had to teach to all of them in the same class.  Throw beginners, intermediate, and advanced right out the window.  Soooo, my format and my game plan quickly changed.  The whole class I was thinking "Dear God..."  90 minutes and several downward dogs later, I led them into final relaxation.  When the class was finished I received such great comments.  They all loved the class; said it was great.  When I asked for any suggestions for improvement or ways to make it better, they said it was perfect.  And, all kept thinking was, "Katie, you know your teaching ability and today you sucked!  But smile to your students and say thank you."  
It's funny how we are so hard on ourselves.  I am a recovering perfectionist.  :-)  
It's also funny how we think we have to perform.  Often all we need to do is create space for people.  Hold the space.  And allow the rest to flow and unfold... 

No comments:

Post a Comment