Saturday, August 6, 2011

AcroYoga


My first experience with AcroYoga was in Portugal.  I was living in the Spanish mountains for yoga teacher training and given the day off to explore my surroundings.  So, what does a yoga teacher in training do on her day off?  Go to Portugal of course! 
Jenny, who is my base in the photos, went with me to Portugal and in a little tiny village she taught me the basic of acroyoga.  The experience is quite exhilarating, requires trust, and is so fun. 
To my advantage, I was a college cheerleader and a college cheer coach where there was a lot of stunting.  It also helped that my base was a former college cheerleader as well, so our fear level was minimal and we went for it. 
AcroYoga is a relatively new term in the yoga field.  It was coined by Jason Nemer and Jenny Sauer-Klein of AcroYoga.  It's the physical combination of yoga, acro-balance, and Thai massage.  The practice cultivates trust, communication, playfulness, and balance for both the flyer and the base.  Check out Jason and Jenny's website above to see some amazing photos and who knows, you might even get hooked yourself or at least attend a workshop... 
Just last week while at a yoga festival I took a basic acro-yoga class with Jason and Jenny.  It was fun, but I found myself wanting more challenging poses and postures.  Who knows, maybe I like living on the edge more than I realize.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment