Sunday, July 24, 2011

Still in love with NOLA

Six years of going to New Orleans to help rebuild after the 2005 hurricane and I'm still in love with this city.  The People, the Culture, the French Quarter, the Art, the JAZZ MUSIC... this feels like a home away from home.

This year for my 32nd birthday I told my family I wanted for us to fly to New Orleans and build together.  So that is what we did.  It was a great experience to have my family and friends working with me on something that is so dear to my heart.

I also visited my adopted grandma Mrs Martha.  I have a flower garden that I tend to every year in NOLA... it's Mrs Martha's.  She is so special to me.  Love our porch-sitting chats.

My trip this summer was one I will not forget.  My family and I stayed with my friend Tony at a volunteer headquarters called Operation Helping Hands.  I was able to see families of older homes I've worked on, stop in at my favorite non-profit called St Bernard Project, and even eat at my favorite spot grubbing on a po-boy at "Today's Ketch".  Even ran into my favorite artist (Reggie Bush) randomly in the French Quarter and he gave me one of his new pieces of art for free.  The energy in this place suits me!  This trip was also special in that I was able to meet up with friends who have moved to the city.  One couple announced they are expecting their first baby (Congrats Scott and Morgan).  Another couple (Dan and Amanda) has invited me back to stay with them for Mardi Gras... So, New Orleans - I will see you again soon - February to be exact... My first Mardi Gras awaits...

No comments:

Post a Comment