Monday, September 13, 2010

Today I was facebook chatting with my friend Sylvester from Kenya. I met him on a trip in December 08. He was one of the leaders working with the Tumaini orphans. As I sit in Vienna today, not feeling at home but feeling a peace about my future… I once again am reminded of what is important to me.

In a society who puts so much importance on wealth and technology… that is not where true happiness is found. Joy is within… it’s in the spirit of the person. I’m in a place that is lacking joy. It has so much on the material side but something is missing... there is a heaviness to the culture.

Sylvester and I talked about the African spirit. People with so little on the material side of life but with a joy and love and passion that is unyielding. I miss that. People who smile and are happy and show love. While in Kenya, taking bucket showers, I felt more happiness and love from locals than I ever have while traveling. And now, sitting in a posh flat in Vienna – I am lonely. Craving smiles and laughter. I am grateful for this experience as I can clearly see what my priorities are.

I am here in Vienna for a season. I’m teaching yoga, living in Europe, and working. Living a part of my dream. It is a learning experience. A place I will be for a short season, doing what I have set out to do and growing so much in the process.

I hope to return to Africa again some day soon. My heart is wired to help others, love people, and laugh along the way…

1 comment: